March 21, 2023
Shelter City Netherlands: Call for Applications for September 2023
View this call in French or Spanish.
Justice & Peace Netherlands is launching a new call for applications for human rights defenders at risk to participate in Shelter City. The deadline for applications is 11 April 2023 at 23:59 CET (Central European Time).
Shelter City provides temporary safe and inspiring spaces for human rights defenders at risk where they re-energise, receive tailormade support and engage with allies. The term human rights defender is intended to refer to the broad range of activists, journalists and independent media professionals, scholars, writers, artists, lawyers, civil and political rights defenders, civil society members, and others working to advance human rights and democracy around the world in a peaceful manner.
From September 2023 onwards, several cities in the Netherlands will receive human rights defenders for a period of three months. At the end of their stay in the Netherlands, participants are expected to return with new tools and energy to carry out their work at home.
To be eligible for Shelter City, human rights defenders should meet the following conditions:
- They implement a non-violent approach in their work;
- They are threatened or otherwise under pressure due to their work or activism;
- They are willing and able to return to their country of origin after 3 months;
- They are willing to speak publicly about their experience or about human rights in their country to the extent that their security situation allows;
- They have a conversational level* of English (limited spots are available for French or Spanish speaking human rights defenders);
- They have a valid passport (with no less than six months of validity) or be willing to carry out the procedures necessary for its issuance. Justice & Peace covers the costs of issuing a passport and / or visa (if applicable);
- They are not subjected to any measure or judicial prohibition to leave the country;
- They are willing to begin their stay in The Netherlands around September 2023.
*By conversational English we mean that participants’ level of English allows them to actively participate in a training, speak about their work, communicate with the host city, etc.
Note that additional factors will be taken into consideration in the final round of selection, such as the added value of a stay in The Netherlands as well as gender, geographic, and thematic balance. Please note that only under exceptional circumstances are we able to accept human rights defenders currently residing in a third country.
To apply for Shelter City, please click on the link below. Application forms must be submitted by 11 April 2023 at 23:59 CET (Central European Time). An independent commission will select the participants.
Note that selected human rights defenders will not automatically participate in Shelter City as Justice & Peace is not in control of issuing the required visas to enter the Netherlands.
For more information, please contact us at sheltercity[at]justiceandpeace.nl.
Photo credit: Daniella van Bergen